Etsy

14/10/2013

Spiced Apple Cake #Blogtoberfest day 14

I was given a huge bag of windfall apples by my lovely neighbour the other week and  I thought I would search out a recipe for Apple Cake. It took me two attempts go get it right but second time around the cake was delicious! The original recipe on allrecipes.co.uk called for 30 to 40 mins cooking time and I had mine on for 55mns... I had to go out though and couldn't leave the oven on so turned it off and hoped for the best....when I got home the cake was still runny in the middle....utter disaster!
 I used -
  •  500g of apples peeled and diced
  • 200 ml of veggie oil
  • 100g castor sugar
  • 100g soft brown sugar
  • 275g of plain flour
  • 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda
  • 1tso cinnamon
  • 1tsp ginger
  • 1tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 2 eggs

For the second try I slashed the amount of sugar down from 400g to 200g as the bit of cake that was "done" on top of the first one was far too sweet. I also knocked 50ml off of the amount of oil to make the batter thicker in the hope that I could cook it through fully this time.

First I whisked the oil and eggs together then beat in the sugar, vanilla essence and salt. I combined the rest of the dry ingredients and sieved hem through and then beat the dry mix into the wet a little at time. Last I stirred in the raw diced apples and tipped the thick lumpy batter into a greased and floured tin. It took 1hr 10 mins to cook thorough the second time around but it was worth persevering. The apples were ever so soft and moist and the cake light and crumbly, worth the cooking time it seemed to take I think. Next time we are given windfall apples I like to try a butter based mixture to see how that goes..maybe this one...

Happy baking, Jolene xx

No comments:

Post a Comment