09/10/2012

Amoebas and Beadathon-ing

Here is my latest batch of Amoebas fresh baked, bathed, scrubbed, dressed up in their Sunday best and soon to be off in the post to cheer up some very brave children on the Beads of Courage program in the UK.


The Beads of Courage program is dear to my heart and I do so love making these funky fun and bright critters. I use the canes ends from twistie and murrini making which is what I spend most of my time making in the studio. There is a little tutorial for them here. It's a super simple way to for me make sure that I make one or two Act of Courage beads to donate every single time I am in the studio, I save them all up and send in small regular donations to BoC and it also means making something really positive from my would be scrap which has got to be a good thing!

The Beads of Courage project is now live in Oncology wards in 47 hospitals across the UK and is entirely funded by a small charity called Be Child Cancer Aware.

A few of us mad lampwork beadmaking ladies will be getting together this weekend and doing something pretty cool! 24 hours of lampwork bead making in honour of Beads of Courage. Every bead we make will be sent to BCCA as Act of Courage beads for the children on the BoC program and we will are also fund raising for BCCA - BoC too. We are hoping to raise a modest £500 which will fund one hospital ward for approximately 6 months on the program.

If you make lampwork beads and have some that you would like to gift to Beads of Courage please download the donation form here. The details of where to send your beads to is in the form.

If you would like to sponsor us or find out more about our 24 beadathon project then please visit our

Just Giving Page

Every £1 will make a huge difference to our total, no donation too small :-D

Thank You
Jolene x

10 comments:

  1. Omgosh! Those are SO cute! They are perfect for Beads of Courage, cheery and cute and sure to bring lots of smiles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do Lauren, BoC is such an amazing program :-D

      Delete
  2. Jolene you are a gem and I am proud to be joining you for the Beadathon. I can't wait!
    :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, it's so close now, can't wait to get melting some glass with you Ness xx

      Delete
  3. Loving your happy, happy amoeba beads ;o)
    Sadly can't be with you lovely ladies, but I will be doing my bit by doing my own few hours..;o) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those beads are absolutely gorgeous, Jolene. And for such a wonderful cause.
    So glad you're joining us for Blogtoberfest12.
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Kat, thanks for coming to see me, great to be part of Blogtober :-D It's the first time I have ever gotten involved but plan to be a regular every year now that I know about it xx

      Delete
  5. Hi! my daughter just got one of these! she loves it!
    thank you so very much!

    kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Kathi, that is so lovely to hear, thank you for letting me know. Lots of love to you and your daughter xx

      Delete